Easily Provide Realistic Ventilator Management Training
- Use the ASL 5000 with your real ventilators — any ventilator, any mode
- Create and control simulations with our brand new intuitive, user-friendly software interface
- Simulate immediately using the lung model library with over 80 lung models, neonatal through adult
- Customize lung models using the widest range of airway resistance, lung compliance, and spontaneous effort parameters of any simulator
- Hold PEEP at any clinically relevant level even >20 cmH20!
- Adjustments to the patient condition are reflected immediately
Effectively Train All Topics — Basic through Advanced
- Simulate patient interactions that are indistinguishable from real patients
- Create and run unlimited patient conditions and unrestricted scenarios
- Focus your attention on your learner as they gather information and make treatment decisions
- Check off their actions, monitor real-time waveform data and easily make any on-the-fly changes
- Train on types and modes of ventilation, ventilator maneuvers and ventilator adjustments
- Train patient-ventilator synchrony, lung protective ventilation, finding optimal PEEP, weaning and many more
The RespiSim System represents a fully self-contained system for teaching mechanical ventilation with a simulated patient, using any ventilator and any mode of ventilation.
The RespiSim System, is a respiratory simulator that enables highly effective, hands-on training, without putting patients at risk.
Needle decompression of RespiPatient®, with the familiar “hiss” sound, allows learners to train on this critical technique.
Using RespiScope®, you can auscultate RespiPatient’s heart, lung, and bowel sounds with high fidelity audio. This allows learners to experience a more immersive, realistic training simulation.
A fully realistic airway allows for training on standard intubation of RespiPatient.
The RespiPatient manikin allows for the full spectrum of intubation, from bagging to connecting to any existing ventilator.
With the purchase of any RespiSim Package, RespiSim Scenarios and Virtual Training are included to ensure you get the most out of your investment.
To effectively teach mechanical ventilation you need ventilator-grade lungs. Designed specifically for ventilator management training, the RespiSim System’s innovative design allows you to simulate almost any respiratory scenario, including a patient whose condition changes over time.
- High-fidelity active servo lung designed specifically for ventilator management training; its innovative design allows you to simulate virtually any respiratory scenario, including a patient whose condition changes over time.
- Resistance 3 to 350 cmH₂O/L/s (intervals of .1)
- Compliance 0.5 to 250 mL/cmH2O
- Ventilator-grade spontaneous breathing passive to 100 bpm
- Patient effort (muscle pressure) 0 to 50 cmH2O
- Tidal Volume 2.7 L
- Holds PEEP from 0 to > 20 cmH2O
- Spontaneous breathing recognized by a real mechanical ventilator
- Control patient’s work of breathing with variable patient effort
- Interacts realistically with all modes of ventilation including Pressure/Volume Control, HFOV, and particularly spontaneous modes such as Pressure Support, ASV, and PAV
- Ability to simulate neonatal and pediatric breathing patterns
- Able to interact with High Frequency Oscillatory Ventilation (HFOV)
- Interacts with Bag-valve Mask (BVM) and Non-invasive Ventilation (NIV)
- Vary lung parameters individually during scenario with immediate impact on ventilator waveforms
- Change between volume and pressure control modes seamlessly on the same patient without re-adjusting lung parameters
- Simulate spontaneous breathing trial scenarios
- Simulate any type of patient-ventilator dysynchrony scenario (inspiratory, expiratory, trigger, and cycle)
- Save custom lung models which can be activated immediately during scenario
- Simulate tracheal as well as left and right lung resistances
- Simulate independent inspiratory and expiratory resistances
- Simulate independent left and right lung compliance
- Real-time waveform data displayed for instructor (such as flows, pressures, volumes, PIP, PEEP, Pplat, Rate, Tidal Volume)
- Simulate neonatal through adult patients (manikin integration for adult patients only)
- Compatible with RespiPatient® manikin
RespiPatient is a specialized respiratory manikin with an anatomically-correct airway and chest structure paired with high fidelity spontaneously breathing lungs. Based on the award winning TruCorp Truman Trauma, RespiPatient’s compact torso is easy to transport and to store. It is ideal for training in:
- Head tilt, jaw thrust, chin lift
- Anatomically accurate oral and naso pharyngeal airway
- Larynx piece with palpable rings for both surgical and needle cricothyroidotomy and percutaneous tracheostomy
- Full use of supraglottic devices
- Endo-tracheal tube insertion with direct laryngoscopy
- Effective bag mask ventilation
- Combi tube insertion
- Naso gastric tube insertion techniques
- Chest rise synchronized with breathing patterns
Chest tube insertion: recognition of correct position, surgical incision, blunt dissection through chest wall, perforation of pleura, and finger sweep:
- Anatomically accurate chest tube insertion in the 5th intercostal space
- Realistic feel of all thoracic palpable landmarks
- Cavity for introduction of optional liquids for simulation of hemothorax or pleural effusion
Needle Decompression of tension pneumothorax:
- Option to introduce air to create either right or left tension pneumothorax
- Needle decompression replacement tissue sets located in 2nd intercostal space at mid-clavicular line
- Successful needle insertion releases air with the familiar “hiss” sound
- Durable replacement tissue facilitates up to 30+ needle incisions
Identification of tracheal deviation and jugular vein distension:
- Jugular vein distension can be observed on either the left or right side of the neck during tension pneumothorax
- Tracheal deviation can be palpated and clearly visible moving away from the side that has tension pneumothorax
- Both features revert back to neutral upon successful needle decompression
Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR):
- Realistic chest structure allows for easy identification of all anatomical landmarks
- Full head tilt, chin lift, and jaw thrust capabilities to allow the students to prepare the airway prior to resuscitation
- Lifelike recoil during compressions
- Successful ventilation will provide an accurate representation of chest rise and fall
Transport Case (Pelican 1730)
- Crushproof and watertight protection for shipping and transport
- Cloth carrying case insert can be removed and used separately when less protection is needed
RespiScope™ Advanced Auscultation Option
- Dedicated WiFi Stethoscope
- Lung, heart, and bowel sound files played directly from stethoscope into earpieces, eliminating stray noise from the inner workings of the manikin
- Learner must place stethoscope in correct anatomical location to trigger sound file
- Instructor can inobtrusively control sounds from computer interface
- Learn more
Mobile Cart Option
- Conduct your training where you need it
- Creates a compact format for storage and transport
RespiSim Software allows instructors to stay in control of the simulation. You can amplify effects, throw students a curveball, or get the simulation back on track to ensure that learning goals are met.
- 80+ lung models, neonatal through adult
- Randomize all lung parameters within a set boundary
- Set a trend for each lung parameter individually
- Set patient’s inspiratory time (Ti) directly
- Simulate a cough breath during simulation with one click
- All lung model parameters and patient physiology can be saved together and activated simultaneously during a simulation
- Progression of scenario can be built to accommodate an unlimited number of paths for the learner and multiple outcomes (positive and negative)
- Scenario can progress automatically from one Patient Condition to the next based on triggers such as time-elapsed or learner actions
- Scenario Worksheet allows users to enter scenario details such as equipment list, learning objectives, patient information, etc. directly within the software
- Learner actions can be customized y instructor and recorded with timestamps during simulation
- Playback all waveform and breath parameter data resulting from a completed simulation
- Data from simulation can be exported and viewed in Excel or similar program
- Real data extracted from ventilator can be reviewed in Debrief with the Ventilator Interface Option; includes mode, set parameters and alarm settings
- User is automatically prompted to perform software updates through the software
- Library of EKG and CO2 waveforms able to be displayed
- Heart Rate
- Blood Pressure
- Respiratory Rate
- Oxygen Saturation
- End-tidal CO2
- Chest x-rays
- Lab results
- Heart and lung sounds
- Oxygen Saturation
- End-tidal CO2
You can use the RespiSim® System to teach mechanical ventilation with or without the RespiPatient® manikin. The system is modular, so you can customize and upgrade to fit your needs and budget.
Both of these solutions allow for hands-on ventilator management training with any real ventilator (and any mode of ventilation).
Our RespiSim System may be the best choice for respiratory care programs (particularly those who do not already own a compatible Laerdal manikin). The RespiSim System is tailored to the specific needs of respiratory care educators, and we offer an extensive library lung models and two scenarios which are not available with the Lung Solution.
If you already own a compatible Laerdal manikin, the Lung Solution may be the most cost-effective way of incorporating high-fidelity respiratory simulation into your program. Because Laerdal manikins include a wide range of non-respiratory capabilities, this solution is also suited for interdisciplinary training.
In fact, since the same ASL 5000 Breathing Simulator can be used in both systems, you can even give yourself maximum functionality by purchasing the RespiSim System and the ASL 5000 Lung Adapter. The Lung Adapter includes the software plug-in for LLEAP and the hardware necessary for physically integrating the ASL 5000 with the compatible Laerdal manikin.
The ASL 5000 Breathing Simulator provides the lungs for the RespiSim System and is its core component. The RespiSim Software is an add-on to the ASL 5000 software and provides a user interface tailored to the needs of educators.
Absolutely. We design our products to be modular whenever possible so that you can expand your system according to your needs and your budget. To integrate the RespiPatient, your ASL 5000 might need a few hardware upgrades. Contact us to find out what additional components your system requires, if any.
Yes. Learn about RespiSim Packages.
Yes, this product is the ASL 5000 Lung Solution. Developed in collaboration with Laerdal, this solution allows you to integrate our ASL 5000 Breathing Simulator, with the SimMan® 3G, SimMan ALS, SimMan Essential, SimMan 3G Trauma, Nursing Anne Simulator and the new SimBaby™.
Just like a real patient, the RespiSim System can be used to train on any ventilator. The connection is made either with an ET-tube or LMA or with a mask, for non-invasive ventilation.
The ASL 5000 (the RespiSim System’s Lungs) holds PEEP at any level, even > 20 cmH2O. No other simulator is able to do this.
The ASL 5000 is capable of simulating the full range of patients from neonatal to adult. Currently, we only offer an adult manikin, but you can simulate neonatal and pediatric patients without a manikin by simply connecting the ventilator directly to the front of the ASL 5000.
The RespiSim System (including RespiPatient) will work with any level of pressure a ventilator would deliver to a human patient, up to 50 or even 80 cmH2O.
We recommend size 3-5 for LMA laryngeal masks and similar respective sizes for other supraglottic devices. We provide an airway kit that includes a 6.0 and 8.0 endotracheal tube and a size 3 LMA.
There are two ways to do this.
Lung, heart, and bowel sounds can be played from the Instructor Dashboard. These sounds would play through the computer speakers. We provide pre-loaded sound files to accompany our Curriculum Modules, but these can be replaced as needed by the user (file types accepted: .mp3, .wav, & .au).
If you are using our RespiPatient manikin, our RespiScope™ Advanced Auscultation Option can be used. The RespiScope works like an MP3 player in disguise. This means that it provides excellent sound quality without any stray sounds from the inner workings of the manikin. When the stethoscope chest piece is placed on the correct position on the manikin, it activates the playing of sounds directly into the ear tips of the stethoscope. Sounds are controlled by the instructor either manually or are part of the RespiSim curriculum.
The ASL 5000 Breathing Simulator (aka RespiPatient’s lungs) is the driving force behind RespiPatient’s chest rise, which, like in a human patient, occurs because of air flow and pressure changes. The ASL 5000, the RespiPatient Interface Box, and the computer that controls the system are electrically powered.
RespiPatient is not intended to be used without the ASL 5000, as its unique value is in the high fidelity lungs. Without the ASL 5000, RespiPatient becomes a passive patient with no respiratory effort and can be ventilated like this type of patient, exhibiting a stiff lung, like an ARDS patient would. Airway management, chest tube insertion, needle decompression, and CPR skills can be trained with the passive RespiPatient.
RespiPatient features replaceable tissues which help provide each trainee with a lifelike and unique surgical experience. Supplies are readily available from either IngMar Medical, or your local TruCorp distributor. Replaceable parts include neck skin covers, combo Larynx, subcutaneous fat tissue, chest drain inserts, needle decompression inserts, and larynx membrane inserts.
To help you quickly master the power of the RespiSim System, training is included in all of our educational packages. Our RespiSim training programs have been approved for Continuing Respiratory Care Education (CRCE) credit by the American Association for Respiratory Care. They may also be submitted for recertification for the Society for Simulation in Healthcare’s Certified Healthcare Simulation Educator (CHSE) and CHSOS (Certified Healthcare Simulation Operations Specialist) professional certifications.
Our product specialists can help you develop custom patient scenarios, or help you plan and deliver ventilator bootcamps or in-service training. Learn more.
“The educational possibilities of the RespiSim are endless and [IngMar Medical’s Clinical Educator] helped me to learn how to use all the features of the system.”
Director of Clinical Education, Respiratory Care, Alvin Community College, RRT
Read The Whole Story
“IngMar’s Clinical Educator applied every concept of simulation to the real world setting! I have gained a wealth of knowledge to increase simulation experiences for every respiratory student!”
Clinical Coordinator Respiratory Care Department, Northern Kentucky University
Read The Whole Story
RespiSim and the ASL 5000 have made a significant difference to our mechanical ventilation course. The student’s understanding of compliance, resistance and asynchrony has increased tremendously since using RespiSim.
Program Director, Respiratory Care Program, Florida SouthWestern State College
Read The Whole Story
Click here for more customer testimonials.