Teach Advanced Mechanical Ventilation
- Managing an ARDS, COPD, Asthma, or post-op patient
- Adjusting the ventilator after a change in patient conditions
- Skills such as intubation, needle decompression, CO2 capnography
- Topics such as dysynchrony, weaning, lung recruitment, lung protective ventilation, finding optimal PEEP, and many more
Simulate Almost Any Patient
- Offers the widest range of airway resistance, lung compliance, and spontaneous effort parameters of any simulator
- Holds PEEP at any clinically relevant level even >20cmH20
- Can be used with any ventilator (and any mode)
- Neonatal to adult patients
- You can even use with oxygen!
The RespiSim System represents a fully self-contained system for teaching mechanical ventilation, with a simulated patient, and using any ventilator (and any mode).
With our QuickChoice Menu you can set up a ventilator management scenario by simply selecting three parameters: patient type, diagnosis, and disease severity. It is truly as easy as 1-2-3.
Watch the video to see the QuickChoice Menu in action.
The Equation of Motion screen helps you to explain the science behind breath patterns in an easy-to-follow, color-coded format. You can even pause to examine the last breath. Pmus + Pvent = Vt/C +R x flow. Watch Video
The RespiSim System, is a respiratory “flight simulator” that enables highly effective, hands-on training, without putting patients at risk.
Needle decompression of RespiPatient®, with the familiar “hiss” sound, allows learners to train on this critical technique.
Using RespiScope®, you can auscultate RespiPatient’s heart, lung, and bowel sounds with high fidelity audio. This allows learners to experience a more immersive, realistic training simulation.
A fully realistic airway allows for training on standard intubation of RespiPatient.
The RespiPatient manikin allows for the full spectrum of intubation, from bagging to connecting to any existing ventilator.
The RespiSim Pro Package adds RespiPatient, thereby providing the highest fidelity training available. Learn more
To effectively teach mechanical ventilation you need ventilator-grade lungs. Designed specifically for ventilator management training, the RespiSim System’s innovative design allows you to simulate almost any respiratory scenario, including a patient whose condition changes over time.
- High Fidelity Lungs. Designed specifically for ventilator management training, its innovative design allows you to simulate almost any respiratory scenario, including a patient whose condition changes over time.
- Ventilator-grade spontaneous breathing (passive to 150 bpm) Patient Effort 0 to -100 cmH2O
- Tidal Volume 2.5 L
- Use with any mode of ventilation including Pressure/Volume Control, Pressure Support, Jet Ventilation, APRV, PAV, HFOV, NIV
- Adjustable (I:E) ratio. Inspiratory Time from 0 to 20 seconds and Expiratory Time from 0 to 20 seconds
- Real-time display of waveforms and graphics
- Connect to any ventilator – just as you would a real patient
- Compliance 0.5 to 250 mL/cmH2O
- Resistance 3 to 500 cmH₂O/L/s (intervals of .1)
- Holds PEEP from 0 to > 20 cmH2O
- Easily activate pre-programmed respiratory conditions with variable levels of severity including Normal, Asthma, ARDS and COPD
- Simulate neonatal through adult patients (manikin integration for adult patients only)
- Lung parameters can be changed during scenario remotely, which have an immediate impact on the ventilator
- Non-linear compliance/inflection points
- Set independent inspiratory and expiratory resistances
- Simulate scenarios with a spontaneously breathing patient supported on a ventilator
- Record 100+ parameters for debriefing
- Import and replay data from actual patients
- Create and save an unlimited number of user-defined respiratory conditions including pneumothorax, bronchospasm, pneumonia, cough, cystic fibrosis, flash pulmonary edema, and more
- Simulate scenarios where patient conditions change over time
- Compatible with RespiPatient® manikin
RespiPatient is a specialized respiratory manikin with an anatomically-correct airway and chest structure paired with high fidelity spontaneously breathing lungs. Based on the award winning TruCorp Truman Trauma, RespiPatient’s compact torso is easy to transport and to store. It is ideal for training in:
- Head tilt, jaw thrust, chin lift
- Anatomically accurate oral and naso pharyngeal airway
- Larynx piece with palpable rings for both surgical and needle cricothyroidotomy and percutaneous tracheostomy
- Full use of supraglottic devices
- Endo-tracheal tube insertion with direct laryngoscopy
- Effective bag mask ventilation
- Single lung isolation capabilities
- Combi tube insertion
- Naso gastric tube insertion techniques
- Chest rise synchronized with breathing patterns
Chest tube insertion: recognition of correct position, surgical incision, blunt dissection through chest wall, perforation of pleura, and finger sweep:
- Anatomically accurate chest tube insertion in the 5th intercostal space
- Realistic feel of all thoracic palpable landmarks
- Cavity for introduction of optional liquids for simulation of hemothorax or pleural effusion
Needle Decompression of tension pneumothorax:
- Option to introduce air to create either right or left tension pneumothorax
- Needle decompression replacement tissue sets located in 2nd intercostal space at mid-clavicular line
- Successful needle insertion releases air with the familiar “hiss” sound
- Durable replacement tissue facilitates up to 30+ needle incisions
Identification of tracheal deviation and jugular vein distension:
- Jugular vein distension can be observed on either the left or right side of the neck during tension pneumothorax
- Tracheal deviation can be palpated and clearly visible moving away from the side that has tension pneumothorax
- Both features revert back to neutral upon successful needle decompression
Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR):
- Realistic chest structure allows for easy identification of all anatomical landmarks
- Full head tilt, chin lift, and jaw thrust capabilities to allow the students to prepare the airway prior to resuscitation
- Lifelike recoil during compressions
- Successful ventilation will provide an accurate representation of chest rise and fall
Transport Case (Pelican 1730)
- Crushproof and watertight protection for shipping and transport
- Cloth carrying case insert can be removed and used separately when less protection is needed
RespiScope™ Advanced Auscultation Option
- Dedicated WiFi Stethoscope
- Lung, heart, and bowel sound files played directly from stethoscope into earpieces, eliminating stray noise from the inner workings of the manikin
- Learner must place stethoscope in correct anatomical location to trigger sound file
- Instructor can inobtrusively control sounds from computer interface
- Learn more
OxSim® Option for Pulse Oximetry
- Simulate patient oxygen saturation (SpO2) and observe ventilator response
- Learn More
Mobile Cart Option
- Conduct your training where you need it
- Creates a compact format for storage and transport
RespiSim Software allows instructors to stay in control of the simulation. You can amplify effects, throw students a curveball, or get the simulation back on track to ensure that learning goals are met.
- QuickChoice Menu allows you to set up a ventilator management scenario by selecting three parameters: patient type, diagnosis and disease severity. See how it works.
- Instructor Dashboard enables efficient management of multiple dimensions of the simulation over time
- Create your own scenarios or use with our plug and play Curriculum Modules
- Rich debriefing tools including recordings of entire sessions with respiratory waveforms
- Learn more
Vital Signs Monitor and Virtual Patient Chart
- EKG waveform
- Heart Rate
- Blood Pressure
- Respiratory Rate
- Oxygen Saturation
- End-tidal CO2
- Chest x-rays
- Lab results
- Heart and lung sounds
- Oxygen Saturation
- End-tidal CO2
- Learn more
You can use the RespiSim® System to teach mechanical ventilation with or without the RespiPatient® manikin. The system is modular, so you can customize and upgrade to fit your needs and budget.
Both of these solutions allow for hands-on ventilator management training with any real ventilator (and any mode of ventilation).
Our RespiSim System may be the best choice for respiratory care programs (particularly those who do not already own a SimMan). The RespiSim System is tailored to the specific needs of respiratory care educators, and we offer an extensive library of ventilator management Curriculum Modules which are not available with the Lung Solution.
If you already own a compatible SimMan, the Lung Solution may be the most cost-effective way of incorporating high-fidelity respiratory simulation into your program. Because the SimMan includes a wide range of non-respiratory capabilities, this solution is also suited for inter-disciplinary training.
In fact, since the same ASL 5000 Breathing Simulator can be used in both systems, you can even give yourself maximum functionality by purchasing the RespiSim System and the ASL 5000 Lung Adapter. The Lung Adapter includes the software plug-in for LLEAP and the hardware necessary for physically integrating the ASL 5000 with the SimMan.
The ASL 5000 Breathing Simulator provides the lungs for the RespiSim System and is its core component. The RespiSim Software is an add-on to the ASL 5000 software and provides a user interface tailored to the needs of educators.
The RespiSim System includes the ASL 5000 Breathing Simulator, the RespiSim Software, the RespiPatient manikin, the curriculum modules, and a cart to make the whole system mobile.
It’s all about the lungs. To effectively teach ventilator management, you need ventilator-grade lungs. RespiPatient’s lungs are provided by the high fidelity ASL 5000 Breathing Simulator. The ASL 5000 is the world’s most sophisticated breathing simulator and as such has established itself as an essential tool among major ventilator manufacturers for developing and testing their products. Lung mechanics such as resistance and compliance can be precisely defined along a continuum, which allows you to simulate almost any patient scenario. The ASL 5000 holds PEEP at any level, even > 20 cmH2O. No other simulator is able to do this.
The respiratory systems of other manikins are simpler, based on a bag or a bellows system that cannot breathe spontaneously while connected to a ventilator and have a limited number of settings. RespiPatient provides unparalleled realism for ventilator management training.
The RespiPatient manikin itself provides unique features such as the ability to simulate tracheal deviation, jugular vein distention, right or left tension pneumothorax; and to train skills such as needle decompression, thoracentesis, cricotomy and tracheostomy.
The Laerdal SimMan 3G can be integrated with our ASL 5000 Breathing Simulator using the ASL 5000 Lung Solution for SimMan.
Absolutely. We design our products to be modular whenever possible so that you can expand your system according to your needs and your budget. To integrate the RespiPatient, your ASL 5000 might need a few hardware upgrades. Contact us to find out what additional components your system requires, if any.
Yes. Learn about RespiSim Packages.
Yes, this product is the ASL 5000 Lung Solution for SimMan. Developed in collaboration with Laerdal, this solution allows you to integrate our ASL 5000 Breathing Simulator, with the SimMan® 3G.
Just like a real patient, the RespiSim System can be used to train on any ventilator. The connection is made either with an ET-tube or LMA or with a mask, for non-invasive ventilation.
The ASL 5000 (the RespiSim System’s Lungs) holds PEEP at any level, even > 20 cmH2O. No other simulator is able to do this.
The ASL 5000 is capable of simulating the full range of patients from neonatal to adult. Currently, we only offer an adult manikin, but you can simulate neonatal and pediatric patients without a manikin by simply connecting the ventilator directly to the front of the ASL 5000.
The RespiSim System (including RespiPatient) will work with any level of pressure a ventilator would deliver to a human patient, up to 50 or even 80 cmH2O.
We recommend size 3-5 for LMA laryngeal masks and similar respective sizes for other supraglottic devices. We provide an airway kit that includes a 6.0 and 8.0 endotracheal tube and a size 3 LMA.
There are two ways to do this.
Lung, heart, and bowel sounds can be played from the Instructor Dashboard. These sounds would play through the computer speakers. We provide pre-loaded sound files to accompany our Curriculum Modules, but these can be replaced as needed by the user (file types accepted: .mp3, .wav, & .au).
If you are using our RespiPatient manikin, our RespiScope™ Advanced Auscultation Option can be used. The RespiScope works like an MP3 player in disguise. This means that it provides excellent sound quality without any stray sounds from the inner workings of the manikin. When the stethoscope chest piece is placed on the correct position on the manikin, it activates the playing of sounds directly into the ear tips of the stethoscope. Sounds are controlled by the instructor either manually or are part of the RespiSim curriculum.
The ASL 5000 Breathing Simulator (aka RespiPatient’s lungs) is the driving force behind RespiPatient’s chest rise, which, like in a human patient, occurs because of air flow and pressure changes. The ASL 5000, the RespiPatient Interface Box, and the computer that controls the system are electrically powered. When using the exhaled CO2 feature, an external CO2 source (25 psi) is needed.
RespiPatient is not intended to be used without the ASL 5000, as its unique value is in the high fidelity lungs. Without the ASL 5000, RespiPatient becomes a passive patient with no respiratory effort and can be ventilated like this type of patient, exhibiting a stiff lung, like an ARDS patient would. Airway management, chest tube insertion, needle decompression, and CPR skills can be trained with the passive RespiPatient.
RespiPatient features replaceable tissues which help provide each trainee with a lifelike and unique surgical experience. Supplies are readily available from either IngMar Medical, or your local TruCorp distributor. Replaceable parts include neck skin covers, combo Larynx, subcutaneous fat tissue, chest drain inserts, needle decompression inserts, and larynx membrane inserts.
To help you quickly master the power of the RespiSim System, training is included in all of our educational packages. Training is available in two formats: Customer-Site at your facility and our new Live Distance Training conducted online.
Our RespiSim training programs have been approved for Continuing Respiratory Care Education (CRCE) credit by the American Association for Respiratory Care. They may also be submitted for recertification for the Society for Simulation in Healthcare’s Certified Healthcare Simulation Educator (CHSE) and CHSOS (Certified Healthcare Simulation Operations Specialist) professional certifications.
Our product specialists can help you develop custom patient scenarios, or help you plan and deliver ventilator bootcamps or in-service training. Learn more.
“The educational possibilities of the RespiSim are endless and [IngMar Medical’s Clinical Educator] helped me to learn how to use all the features of the system.”
Director of Clinical Education, Respiratory Care, Alvin Community College, RRT
Read The Whole Story
“IngMar’s Clinical Educator applied every concept of simulation to the real world setting! I have gained a wealth of knowledge to increase simulation experiences for every respiratory student!”
Clinical Coordinator Respiratory Care Department, Northern Kentucky University
Read The Whole Story
RespiSim and the ASL 5000 have made a significant difference to our mechanical ventilation course. The student’s understanding of compliance, resistance and asynchrony has increased tremendously since using RespiSim.
Program Director, Respiratory Care Program, Florida SouthWestern State College
Read The Whole Story
Click here for more customer testimonials.