Introducing the NEW RespiPro™
- Provoke realistic interactions between the simulated patient’s respiratory mechanics and the full scope of real ventilation devices
- Enhance the perception of realism with manikin chest movement and expansion consistent with the simulated patient’s breaths
- Practice information gathering using the simulated stethoscope for auscultation and the true-to-life patient monitor for the patient’s physiological information
- Increase psychomotor abilities including CPR, intubation, needle decompression, chest tube insertion and more
- Utilize the realism and flexibility of the mini ICU bed with collapsible bed rails and adjustable bed height and angle
- Facilitate systematic yet flexible simulation experiences with the easy-to-use software, designed by educators, for educators
- Create and customize scenarios without restriction using the widest range of respiratory parameters, over 90 lung models neonatal through adult, and a library of waveforms, images, and sounds
- Accommodate an unlimited number of patient outcomes with ease by activating lung model parameters and patient physiology simultaneously during the simulation
- Spend less time controlling the software by automating scenario progression with triggers including the amount of time elapsed and the completion of learner actions
- Enrich learning with debrief and feedback sessions using the playback of timestamped learner actions and instructor notes as well as waveform, breath parameter and ventilator data
- Enhance curriculum, provide opportunities for standardized clinical experiences, address competencies, improve quality of care and patient safety, and promote readiness for clinical practice with the all-in-one respiratory simulation solution
- Support transport scenarios with the option for tetherless mobile cart capability
- Move through the full scope of patient care from initial CPR maneuvers to bag-valve-mask ventilation and intubation, all the way to complex ventilator management skills and weaning
Start simulating immediately with RespiSim Scenarios or create your own custom scenario. RespiSim Scenarios are comprehensive learning modules which combine multiple patient conditions, assessments, instructor notes, and patient condition information for the learner.
Stay in control of the simulation, amplify effects, throw learners a curveball, or get the simulation back on track to ensure that learning goals are met.
Build a scenario progression to accommodate an unlimited number of paths for the learner and multiple outcomes (positive and negative). Progress the scenario automatically from one patient condition to the next based on triggers such as time elapsed.
Provide learners with a true-to-life Patient Monitor Application including a library of ECG, BP, SpO2 and EtCO2 waveforms, heart rate, blood pressure, oxygen saturation, end-tidal CO2, and respiratory rate.
Watch as your learners gather information from lab results, x-rays, CT scans, ECGs and Ultrasounds.
Train all levels of learners across multiple disciplines on the full scope of respiratory techniques with one solution.
Adjustable bed height for easier patient assessment and intubation for a range of clinicians between 29” to 42”. Adjustable head of bed from 0 to 53 degrees at six discrete levels.
Support transport scenarios with the tetherless mobile cart capability option. Swivel-lock castors allow for easier transport throughout hospital.
Using RespiScope®, you can auscultate RespiPro™ Manikin’s heart, lung, and bowel sounds with high fidelity audio. This allows learners to experience a more immersive, realistic simulation.
Increase psychomotor abilities including CPR, intubation, needle decompression, chest tube insertion and more!
- High-fidelity active servo lung designed specifically for ventilator management training; its innovative design allows you to simulate virtually any respiratory scenario, including a patient whose condition changes over time.
- Resistance 3 to 350 cmH₂O/L/s
- Compliance 0.5 to 250 mL/cmH2O
- Ventilator-grade spontaneous breathing passive to 100 bpm
- Patient effort (muscle pressure) 0 to 50 cmH2O
- Tidal Volume 2.1 L
- Holds PEEP at any clinically relevant level including 0 to > 20 cmH2O
- Spontaneous breathing recognized by real mechanical ventilators
- Control patient’s work of breathing with variable patient effort
- Interacts realistically with most modes of ventilation including Pressure/Volume Control, HFOV, and particularly spontaneous modes such as Pressure Support, ASV, and PAV
- Ability to simulate neonatal and pediatric breathing patterns
- Able to interact with High Frequency Oscillatory Ventilation (HFOV)
- Interacts with Bag-valve Mask (BVM) and Non-invasive Ventilation (NIV)
- Vary lung parameters individually during scenario with immediate impact on ventilator waveforms
- Change between volume and pressure control modes seamlessly on the same patient without re-adjusting lung parameters
- Simulate spontaneous breathing trial scenarios
- Simulate any type of patient-ventilator dysynchrony scenario (inspiratory, expiratory, trigger, and cycle)
- Save custom lung models which can be activated immediately during scenario
- Simulate tracheal as well as left and right bronchi branch resistances
- Simulate independent inspiratory and expiratory resistances
- Simulate independent left and right lung compliances
- Real-time waveform data displayed for instructor (such as flows, pressures, volumes, PIP, PEEP, Pplat, Rate, Tidal Volume)
- Simulate neonatal through adult patients (manikin integration for adult patients only)
- Compatible with RespiPro™ manikin
RespiPro™ Manikin is a specialized respiratory manikin with an anatomically-correct airway and chest structure paired with high fidelity spontaneously breathing lungs, the ASL 5000. RespiPro Manikin’s compact torso is easy to transport and to store. It is ideal for training in:
- Head tilt, jaw thrust, chin lift
- Anatomically accurate oral and naso pharyngeal airway
- Larynx piece with palpable rings for both surgical and needle cricothyroidotomy and percutaneous tracheostomy
- Full use of supraglottic devices
- Endo-tracheal tube insertion with direct laryngoscopy
- Effective bag mask ventilation
- Combi tube insertion
- Naso gastric tube insertion techniques
- Realistic chest movement and expansion consistent with patient’s breaths including volume, depth and rate
Chest tube insertion: recognition of correct position, surgical incision, blunt dissection through chest wall, perforation of pleura, and finger sweep:
- Anatomically accurate chest tube insertion in the 5th intercostal space
- Realistic feel of all thoracic palpable landmarks
- Cavity for introduction of optional liquids for simulation of hemothorax or pleural effusion
Needle Decompression of tension pneumothorax:
- Option to introduce air to create either right or left tension pneumothorax
- Needle decompression replacement tissue sets located in 2nd intercostal space at mid-clavicular line
- Successful needle insertion releases air with the familiar “hiss” sound
- Durable replacement tissue facilitates up to 30+ needle incisions
Identification of tracheal deviation and jugular vein distension:
- Jugular vein distension can be observed on either the left or right side of the neck during tension pneumothorax
- Tracheal deviation can be palpated and clearly visible moving away from the side that has tension pneumothorax
- Both features revert back to neutral upon successful needle decompression
Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR):
- Realistic chest structure allows for easy identification of all anatomical landmarks
- Full head tilt, chin lift, and jaw thrust capabilities to allow the students to prepare the airway prior to resuscitation
- Lifelike recoil during compressions
- Successful ventilation will provide an accurate representation of chest rise and fall
RespiSim Software allows instructors to stay in control of the simulation. You can amplify effects, throw students a curveball, or get the simulation back on track to ensure that learning goals are met.
- 90+ lung models, neonatal through adult
- Randomize all lung parameters within a set boundary
- Set a trend for each lung parameter individually
- Set patient’s inspiratory time (Ti) directly
- Simulate a cough breath during simulation with one click
- All lung model parameters and patient physiology can be saved together and activated simultaneously during a simulation
- Progression of scenario can be built to accommodate an unlimited number of paths for the learner and multiple outcomes (positive and negative)
- Scenario can progress automatically from one Patient Condition to the next based on triggers such as time-elapsed or learner actions
- Scenario Worksheet allows users to enter scenario details such as equipment list, learning objectives, patient information, etc. directly within the software
- Playback all waveform and breath parameter data resulting from a completed simulation
- Data from simulation can be exported and viewed on other PCs with RespiSim Software
- Real data extracted from ventilator can be reviewed during the live simulation and in the debrief with the Ventilator Interface Kit Option; includes mode, set parameters and alarm settings
- User is automatically prompted to perform software updates through the software
Learner Display with Patient Monitor Application
- Library of ECG, BP, SpO2 and ETCO2 waveforms able to be displayed
- Heart Rate
- Blood Pressure
- Respiratory Rate
- Oxygen Saturation
- End-tidal CO2
- Chest x-rays
- CT Scans
- Lab results
You can use the RespiSim® System to teach mechanical ventilation with or without the RespiPro™ Manikin. The system is modular, so you can customize and upgrade to fit your needs and budget.
Both of these solutions allow for hands-on ventilator management training with any real ventilator. Please review this resource to compare specifications.
Our RespiSim System may be the best choice for respiratory care programs (particularly those who do not already own a compatible Laerdal manikin). The RespiSim System is tailored to the specific needs of respiratory care educators, and we offer an extensive library lung models and two scenarios which are not available with the Lung Solution.
If you already own a compatible Laerdal manikin, the Lung Solution may be the most cost-effective way of incorporating high-fidelity respiratory simulation into your program. Because Laerdal manikins include a wide range of non-respiratory capabilities, this solution is also suited for interdisciplinary training.
In fact, since the same ASL 5000 Breathing Simulator can be used in both systems, you can even give yourself maximum functionality by purchasing the RespiSim System and the ASL 5000 Lung Adapter. The Lung Adapter includes the software plug-in for LLEAP and the hardware necessary for physically integrating the ASL 5000 with the compatible Laerdal manikin.
The ASL 5000 Breathing Simulator provides the lungs for the RespiSim System and is its core component. The RespiSim Software controls the ASL 5000 and provides a user interface tailored to the needs of educators.
Absolutely. We design our products to be modular whenever possible so that you can expand your system according to your needs and your budget. To integrate the RespiPro Manikin, your ASL 5000 might need a few hardware upgrades. Contact us to find out what additional components your system requires, if any.
Yes. Learn about RespiSim Packages.
Yes, this product is the ASL 5000 Lung Solution. Developed in collaboration with Laerdal, this solution allows you to integrate our ASL 5000 Breathing Simulator, with the SimMan® 3G, SimMan ALS, SimMan Essential, SimMan 3G Trauma, Nursing Anne Simulator and the new SimBaby™.
Just like a real patient, the RespiSim System can be used to train on any ventilator and most modes of ventilation. The connection is made either with an ET-tube or LMA or with a mask, for non-invasive ventilation.
The ASL 5000 (the RespiSim System’s lungs) holds PEEP at any level, even > 20 cmH2O.
Yes, the ASL 5000 is capable of simulating the full range of patients from neonatal to adult. Currently, RespiPro is designed to work with the RespiPro Manikin, but you can simulate neonatal and pediatric patients without a manikin by simply connecting the ventilator directly to the front of the ASL 5000.
The RespiSim System (including RespiPro Manikin) will work with any level of pressure a ventilator would deliver to a human patient, up to 50 or even 80 cmH2O.
We recommend size 3-5 for LMA laryngeal masks and similar respective sizes for other supraglottic devices. We provide an airway kit that includes a 6.0 and 8.0 endotracheal tube and a size 3 LMA.
There are two ways to do this.
You can upload your own sound files (file types accepted: .mp3, .wav, & .au) to be played during the simulation. These sounds would play through the Instructor Display PC speakers.
If you are using the RespiPro Manikin, our RespiScope™ Advanced Auscultation Option can be used. It provides excellent sound quality without any stray sounds from the inner workings of the manikin. Sounds are controlled by the instructor either manually or are part of the RespiSim Scenarios. When the learner auscultates the manikin with the RespiScope, it activates the playing of sounds directly into the ear tips of the stethoscope.
The RespiPro Manikin is pneumatically driven via the RespiPro Interface Box. The ASL 5000 Breathing Simulator (RespiPro Manikin’s lungs) is the driving force behind RespiPro Manikin’s chest rise, which, like in a human patient, occurs because of air flow and pressure changes. The ASL 5000, the RespiPro Interface Box, and the computer that controls the system are electrically powered.
RespiPro Manikin is not intended to be used without the ASL 5000, as its unique value is in the high fidelity lungs. Without the ASL 5000, RespiPro Manikin becomes a passive patient with no respiratory effort and can be ventilated like this type of patient, exhibiting a stiff lung, like an ARDS patient would. Airway management, chest tube insertion, needle decompression, and CPR skills can be trained with the passive RespiPro Manikin.
RespiPro Manikin features replaceable tissues which help provide each trainee with a lifelike and unique surgical experience. Supplies are readily available from either IngMar Medical, or your local TruCorp distributor. Replaceable parts include neck skin covers, combo Larynx, subcutaneous fat tissue, chest drain inserts, needle decompression inserts, and larynx membrane inserts.
To help you quickly master the power of the RespiSim System, training is included in all of our educational packages. Our RespiSim training programs have been approved for Continuing Respiratory Care Education (CRCE) credit by the American Association for Respiratory Care. They may also be submitted for recertification for the Society for Simulation in Healthcare’s Certified Healthcare Simulation Educator (CHSE) and CHSOS (Certified Healthcare Simulation Operations Specialist) professional certifications.
Our product specialists can help you develop custom patient scenarios, or help you plan and deliver ventilator bootcamps or in-service training. Learn more.
“RespiSim and the ASL 5000 have made a significant difference to our mechanical ventilation course. The student’s understanding of compliance, resistance and asynchrony has increased tremendously since using RespiSim.”
– Jean Newberry, Program Director, Respiratory Care Program, Florida SouthWestern State College
“I loved it. I love the ease of use, and yet it retains the robust ability to change the pulmonary dynamics adequately.”
– Lonny Ashworth, MEd, RRT, FAARC
Professor, Director of Research, Department of Respiratory Care, Boise State University
“The platform is easy to read and navigate. I created my own scenarios and they worked well.”
– Bill Garrison, BS, ACCS-RRT, RCP, Respiratory Educator, Simulation Lab at St. Elizabeth Healthcare
Click here for customer testimonials.
Improve Patient Outcomes with Cutting Edge Technology
- Stand out as an established organization with cutting edge simulation technology
- Recruit more professionals into the respiratory profession
- Prepare RT students for the NBRC exam and present residents and fellows with real-life scenarios
- Evaluate competency of residents, fellows and RRTs with structured, repeatable and realistic simulations
- Teach your hospital’s protocols to clinicians, onboard new equipment and conduct breakthrough research studies
- Impact the next generation of respiratory professionals by providing experiential learning
- How to Run an Effective Respiratory Simulation with Remote Learners. Watch.
Running a Non-Invasive Ventilation Scenario with RespiSim. Watch.
Using RespiSim® to Manage Patient-Ventilator Synchrony in the Volume Assist-Control Mode. Watch.
- Running a Mechanical Ventilation Scenario with RespiSim. Watch.