Teach Basic to Advanced Mechanical Ventilation
- Manage patient conditions such as ARDS, COPD, asthma, or post-op patient. View a larger scope of training applications
- Adjust the ventilator after a change in patient conditions. View ASL 5000-created patient-ventilator interactions
- Practice skills such as intubation, needle decompression, and NIV
- Achieve highly realistic ventilator response including specific types of patient-ventilator synchrony issues, alarms only when appropriate, and evidence of ready-to-wean patients
Simulate Virtually Any Patient
- Offers the widest range of airway resistance, lung compliance, and spontaneous effort parameters of any simulator
- Holds PEEP at any clinically relevant level even > 20 cmH₂O
- Can be used with any ventilator – any mode of ventilation
- Train clinicians on all respiratory treatment modalities including bag-valve mask ventilation, non-invasive ventilation, airway management, mechanical ventilation, and anesthesiology
One ASL 5000, Multiple Configurations
- Manage both the ASL 5000 and SimMan, Nursing Anne Simulator or SimBaby directly from LLEAP, the Laerdal Learning Application
- Connect the ASL 5000 to the manikin for fully immersive training, interdisciplinary training and competency evaluations
- Connect the ASL 5000 directly to the ventilator and connect to Virtual Manikin for demonstrating specific interactions, new hire, and new ventilator onboarding
Make your SimMan ventilator-ready and train on basic through advanced ventilation with any real ventilator and any mode of ventilation
Use your new Laerdal SimBaby to simulate advanced ventilator training management scenarios with a spontaneously breathing infant supported on a ventilator. SimBaby is a tetherless simulator designed to help healthcare providers effectively recognize and respond to critically ill pediatric patients.
Use your Laerdal Nursing Anne manikin for high-fidelity ventilation management training designed especially for nurses.
The first nursing simulator to cover every aspect of modern nursing education, Nursing Anne Simulator offers safe and realistic practice on core nursing skills – from basic assessments and critical thinking to advanced interventions.
The ASL 5000 Lung Solution can hold PEEP at any clinically relevant level, including values > 20 cmH20.
The IngMar software plug-in integrates seamlessly into Laerdal’s LLEAP interface, adding real-time ventilation waveforms. You can select different patient types and disease states with a few clicks.
You can keep it simple and select a preprogrammed disease state, or customize by adjusting airway resistance, lung compliance, breath rate, and patient effort. You can also create and save an unlimited number of user-defined respiratory conditions.
The ASL 5000™ Breathing Simulator’s unique design makes it possible to precisely craft very realistic breath profiles. In fact, many of the ventilators in hospitals today have been developed using the ASL 5000.
- The ASL 5000™ Lung Solution, developed in collaboration with Laerdal, allows you to integrate the world’s most realistic breathing simulator, the ASL 5000, with the SimMan 3G, Nursing Anne Simulator and SimBaby. Use your SimMan, Nursing Anne Simulator or SimBaby to conduct basic to advanced ventilation management training in anesthesia, critical care, emergency medicine, pulmonology, and respiratory care.
- Ventilator-grade spontaneous breathing (passive to 100 bpm) with Muscle Pressure from 0 to -100 cmH₂O (0 to -30 cmH₂O for SimBaby)
- Tidal Volume 2.5 L
- Connect to any ventilator – just as you would a real patient
- Use with any mode of ventilation including Pressure/Volume Control, Pressure Support, Jet Ventilation, APRV, PAV, HFOV, NIV, SIMV
- Compliance – 0.5 to 250 mL/cmH₂O (0.5 to 15 mL/cmH₂O for SimBaby)
- Resistance – 8 to 150 cmH₂O/L/s (23 to 250 cmH₂O/L/s for SimBaby)
- Holds PEEP from 0 to > 20 cmH₂O
- Easily activate pre-programmed respiratory conditions with variable levels of severity including Normal, Asthma, ARDS, Interstitial Lung Disease (ILD), COPD, respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), and broncho-pulmonary dysplasia (BPD)
- Lung parameters can be changed during scenario remotely, which have an immediate impact on the ventilator
- Set independent inspiratory and expiratory resistances
- Fully integrated with LLEAP interface to provide learners with additional patient information such as blood pressure, heart rate, SpO₂, etCO₂, respiratory rate, lung sounds, and more
- Simulate scenarios with a spontaneously breathing patient supported on a ventilator. View ASL 5000-created patient-ventilator interactions
- Adjustable (I:E) ratio. Inspiratory Time from 0 to 20 seconds and Expiratory Time from 0 to 20 seconds
- Real-time display of waveforms and graphics
- Create and save an unlimited number of user-defined respiratory conditions including pneumothorax, bronchospasm, pneumonia, cough, cystic fibrosis, flash pulmonary edema, and more. View a larger scope of training applications
- Simulate scenarios where patient conditions change over time
SimMan® is a registered trademark of Laerdal Medical.
The ASL 5000 Lung Solution is compatible with the following models:
- SimMan® 3G
- SimMan ® 3G Trauma
- SimMan® Essential
- SimMan® Essential Bleeding
- Nursing Anne Simulator
You can manage both the ASL 5000 and SimMan, Nursing Anne Simulator or SimBaby directly from LLEAP, the Laerdal Learning Application, through the ASL 5000 Lung Solution LLEAP plug-in.
You can keep it simple and use pre-programmed respiratory conditions with variable levels of severity. These include Normal, Asthma, ARDS, Interstitial Lung Disease (ILD), COPD Bronchopulmonary dysplasia (BPD), and Infant respiratory distress syndrome (IRDS), and Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV). You can also create and save an unlimited number of user-defined respiratory conditions including pneumothorax, bronchospasm, pneumonia, cough, cystic fibrosis, flash pulmonary edema, and more.
The ASL 5000™ Lung Solution will allow you to integrate the world’s premier breathing simulator, the ASL 5000, with Laerdal’s SimMan® 3G, Nursing Anne Simulator and SimBaby™. This will enable you to simulate a spontaneously breathing patient being supported on a ventilator.
Both of these solutions allow for hands-on ventilator management training with any real ventilator (and any mode of ventilation). If you already own a compatible SimMan, Nursing Anne Simulator or SimBaby, the Lung Solution may be the most cost-effective way of incorporating high-fidelity respiratory simulation into your program. Because the SimMan, Nursing Anne Simulator and SimBaby include a wide range of non-respiratory capabilities, this solution is also suited for inter-disciplinary training.
Our RespiSim System includes a robust data analysis package which is typically utilized for clinical research or device R&D as well.
In fact, the same ASL 5000 Breathing Simulator can be used in both systems to give yourself maximum functionality.
If you already own an ASL 5000, you simply need the Lung Adapter which includes the software plug-in for LLEAP and any necessary hardware to physically integrate the ASL 5000 with the SimMan or the New SimBaby. To establish connection between Nursing Anne Simulator and your ASL 5000, the Nursing Anne Simulator ASL 5000 kit is required and contains all components needed.
The Lung Solution is compatible with the:
- SimMan 3G
- SimMan Essential
- SimMan Essential Bleeding
- SimMan 3G Trauma
- Nursing Anne Simulator
Yes, LLEAP version version 6.3 or higher for SimMan and version 6.7 or higher for SimBaby and Nursing Anne Simulator is required for use of the Lung Solution. To upgrade your manikin, please contact your Laerdal representative.
The installation is reversible. Better yet, you can switch between using SimMan with or without the ASL 5000 Breathing Simulator. You simply unzip SimMan’s skin covering and turn a dial.
The new SimBaby is “Lung Solution-ready.” There is no need to install an internal adapter, so the SimBaby can be returned to its standard configuration by unplugging the ASL 5000 from the side port and inserting the plug which fills that port.
To establish connection between Nursing Anne Simulator and the ASL 5000, the Nursing Anne Simulator ASL 5000 kit is required and contains all components needed. Follow the steps outlined in the Nursing Anne Simulator quick connect guide to connect the two products. If the Nursing Anne Simulator needs to be utilized without the ASL 5000, reverse the steps made for connection.
Please contact your Laerdal representative or provide your information to IngMar Medical who will connect you with your local Laerdal representative.
Anesthetic gases may not be used with the SimMan/ Nursing Anne Simulator/ SimBaby manikins.
However, you may use anesthetic gases without a manikin – by connecting the ASL 5000 to a ventilator directly.
The SimMan/ Nursing Anne Simulator/ SimBaby cannot be used in an oxygen-rich environment. Most customers using a mechanical ventilator will turn down the Fi02 setting as far as possible to avoid alarms during this scenario. However, the ASL 5000 can be used in an oxygen-rich environment, so if you wish to use the system in this way, you can connect the ventilator directly to the ASL 5000 (bypassing the manikin). RespiPatient, as part of our RespiSim System, can be used in an oxygen-rich environment.
For these systems, the ASL 5000 must be hard-wired to the same network to which the manikin is connected using an Ethernet cable. The computer running the LLEAP software needs to be connected to that same network.
The frequency of the etCO2 waveforms automatically reflects the total rate which is currently being simulated. Otherwise, the shape of the CO2 waveforms is adjusted within the LLEAP Patient Monitor as they were before the ASL 5000 Lung Solution integration.
Bi-lateral and uni-lateral chest rise are synchronized with the breath rate and depth of respiration for SimMan and SimBaby. Bi-lateral chest rise is synchronized with the breath rate of Nursing Anne Simulator.
When connected to the ASL 5000, the SimMan, Nursing Anne Simulator and SimBaby have a total volume capacity of 2.5L (using the Standard ASL 5000).
Yes, any clinically relevant PEEP value can be applied when using the ASL 5000 Lung Solution (>20cmH2O).
To help you get up to speed as quickly as possible, we offer training conducted at your facility or via web conference. Learn more.
Our product specialists can help you develop custom patient scenarios, help you plan and deliver ventilator bootcamps, or in-service training. Learn more.
The ASL 5000 Lung Solution is a win-win for everyone and changes the whole education model. It opens up new horizons for the hospital staff.
Respiratory Educator, Simulation Lab at St. Elizabeth Healthcare
Read The Whole Story
Our ASL 5000 Lung Solution seems to be one of the most popular portions of our respiratory program. The Flight Medics, Critical Care Medics, and EMS have used it weekly!
Simulation Technician, Greenville Health System
Read The Whole Story
- ASL 5000 Lung Solution for customers do not own an ASL 5000
- ASL 5000 Lung Adapter for customers who already own an ASL 5000
The ASL 5000 Lung Solution and the ASL 5000 Lung Adapter are available worldwide exclusively from your Laerdal representative.Request a Quote
- RespiSim® System for ventilator management training. Learn more.
- RespiSim vs. ASL 5000 Lung Solution for SimMan: which product is right for me?
- Please review our End Users and Training Applications resource.
- Training for Interdisciplinary ARDS Care, Using the ASL 5000 Lung Solution for SimMan. Watch
- Managing a Pneumothorax with the ASL 5000 Lung Solution for SimMan. Watch.
- Using the ASL 5000 Lung Solution for SimMan to Manage a Post-op Patient. Watch.
- ASL 5000 Lung Solution for Laerdal SimMan. Watch.