Teach Advanced Mechanical Ventilation
- Managing an ARDS, COPD, Asthma, or post-op patient
- Adjusting the ventilator after a change in patient conditions
- Skills such as intubation and needle decompression
- Topics such as dysynchrony, weaning, lung protective ventilation, finding optimal PEEP, and many more
Simulate Almost Any Patient
- Offers the widest range of airway resistance, lung compliance, and spontaneous effort parameters of any simulator
- Holds PEEP at any clinically relevant level even >20 cm H₂O
- Can be used with any ventilator (and any mode)
Use Laerdal’s LLEAP Software
Manage both the ASL 5000 and SimMan directly from LLEAP, the Laerdal Learning Application.
The ASL 5000™ Lung Solution can be used with any ventilator to train life-critical ventilator management skills.
The ASL 5000 Lung Solution can hold PEEP at any clinically relevant level, including values > 20 cmH20.
Learners can practice diagnosing conditions such as pneumothorax with the realistic chest rise.
The IngMar software plug-in (part of the Lung Adapter) integrates seamlessly into Laerdal’s LLEAP interface, adding real-time ventilation waveforms. You can select different patient types and disease states with a few clicks.
You can keep it simple and select a preprogrammed disease state, or customize by adjusting airway resistance, lung compliance, breath rate, and patient effort. You can also create and save an unlimited number of user-defined respiratory conditions.
Train on advanced ventilator management skills
Conversion is simple – your Laerdal field service representative will install a physical adapter to connect the ASL 5000 Breathing Simulator and SimMan, bypassing SimMan’s lungs. To use SimMan without the ASL 5000, you simply unzip the manikin and turn a dial.
The ASL 5000™ Breathing Simulator’s unique design makes it possible to precisely craft very realistic breath profiles. In fact, many of the ventilators in hospitals today have been developed using the ASL 5000.
- The ASL 5000™ Lung Solution for SimMan®, developed in collaboration with Laerdal, allows you to integrate the world’s most realistic breathing simulator, the ASL 5000™, with the SimMan 3G. Use your SimMan to conduct advanced ventilation management training in anesthesia, critical care, emergency medicine, pulmonology, and respiratory care.
- Ventilator-grade spontaneous breathing (passive to 150 bpm) Patient Effort 0 to -100 cmH₂O
- Tidal Volume 2.5 L
- Use with any mode of ventilation including Pressure/Volume Control, Pressure Support, Jet Ventilation, APRV, PAV, HFOV, NIV
- Connect to any ventilator – just as you would a real patient
- Compliance – 0.5 to 250 mL/cmH₂O
- Resistance – 8 to 150 cmH₂O/L/s
- Holds PEEP from 0 to > 20 cmH₂O
- Lung parameters can be changed during scenario remotely, which have an immediate impact on the ventilator
- Easily activate pre-programmed respiratory conditions with variable levels of severity including Normal, Asthma, ARDS, Interstitial Lung Disease (ILD), and COPD
- Set independent inspiratory and expiratory resistances
- Fully integrated with LLEAP interface (version 6.3 or higher) to provide student with additional patient information such as blood pressure, heart rate, SpO₂, etCO₂, respiratory rate, lung sounds and more
- Simulate scenarios with a spontaneously breathing patient supported on a ventilator
- Adjustable (I:E) ratio. Inspiratory Time from 0 to 20 seconds and Expiratory Time from 0 to 20 seconds
- Real-time display of waveforms and graphics
- Create and save an unlimited number of user-defined respiratory conditions including pneumothorax, bronchospasm, pneumonia, cough, cystic fibrosis, flash pulmonary edema, and more
- Simulate scenarios where patient conditions change over time
- Compatible with SimMan® 3G, SimMan ® 3G Trauma, SimMan® Essential, and SimMan® Essential Bleeding
- Developed in collaboration with Laerdal
SimMan® is a registered trademark of Laerdal Medical.
The ASL 5000 Lung Solution for SimMan is compatible with the following models:
SimMan® 3G, SimMan ® 3G Trauma, SimMan® Essential, and SimMan® Essential Bleeding
You can manage both the ASL 5000 and SimMan directly from LLEAP, the Laerdal Learning Application, through the IngMar LLEAP Plugin Software.
You can keep it simple and use pre-programmed respiratory conditions with variable levels of severity. These include Normal, Asthma, ARDS, Interstitial Lung Disease (ILD), and COPD. You can also create and save an unlimited number of user-defined respiratory conditions including pneumothorax, bronchospasm, pneumonia, cough, cystic fibrosis, flash pulmonary edema, and more.
The ASL 5000™ Lung Solution will allow you to integrate the world’s premier breathing simulator, the ASL 5000, with Laerdal’s SimMan® 3G. This will enable you to simulate a spontaneously breathing patient being supported on a ventilator.
Both of these solutions allow for hands-on ventilator management training with any real ventilator (and any mode of ventilation). If you already own a compatible SimMan, the Lung Solution may be the most cost-effective way of incorporating high-fidelity respiratory simulation into your program. Because the SimMan includes a wide range of non-respiratory capabilities, this solution is also suited for inter-disciplinary training.
Our RespiSim System may be the best choice for respiratory care programs (particularly those who do not already own a SimMan). The RespiSim System is tailored to the specific needs of respiratory care educators, and we offer an extensive library of ventilator management Curriculum Modules which are not available with the Lung Solution.
In fact, since the same ASL 5000 Breathing Simulator can be used in both systems, you can even give yourself maximum functionality by purchasing the RespiSim System and the ASL 5000 Lung Adapter. The Lung Adapter includes the software plug-in for LLEAP and the hardware necessary for physically integrating the ASL 5000 with the SimMan.
If you already own an ASL 5000, you simply need the Lung Adapter which includes the software plug-in for LLEAP and the hardware necessary for physically integrating the ASL 5000 with the SimMan.
The initial release is compatible with the SimMan 3G platform including SimMan 3G, SimMan Essential, SimMan Essential Bleeding, and SimMan 3G Trauma.
Yes, LLEAP version 6.3 is required for use of the Lung Solution. To upgrade your SimMan, please contact your Laerdal representative.
The installation is reversible. Better yet, you can switch between using SimMan with or without the ASL 5000 Breathing Simulator. You simply unzip SimMan’s skin covering and turn a dial.
Please contact your Laerdal representative or provide your information to IngMar Medical who will connect you with your local Laerdal representative.
No, anesthetic gases may not be used with the ASL 5000 Lung Solution.
The SimMan cannot be used in an oxygen-rich environment. Most customers using a mechanical ventilator will turn down the Fi02 setting as far as possible to avoid alarms during this scenario. However, the ASL 5000 can be used in an oxygen-rich environment, so if you wish to use the system in this way, you can connect the ventilator directly to the ASL 5000 (bypassing the SimMan manikin). RespiPatient, as part of our RespiSim System, can be used in an oxygen-rich environment.
The ASL 5000 must be hard-wired to the chosen network using an Ethernet cable. The computer running the LLEAP software can be connected wirelessly to that same network.
No, the etCO2 and CO2 waveforms are adjusted within the LLEAP Patient Monitor as they were before the ASL 5000 Lung Solution integration.
When connected to the ASL 5000, the SimMan has a total volume capacity of 2.5L (using the Standard ASL 5000).
Yes, any clinically relevant PEEP value can be applied when using the ASL 5000 Lung Solution (>20cmH2O).
To help you get up to speed as quickly as possible, we offer training conducted at your facility or via web conference. Learn more.
Our product specialists can help you develop custom patient scenarios, or help you plan and deliver ventilator bootcamps or in-service training. Learn more.
The ASL 5000 Lung Solution is a win-win for everyone and changes the whole education model. It opens up new horizons for the hospital staff.
Respiratory Educator, Simulation Lab at St. Elizabeth Healthcare
Read The Whole Story
Our ASL 5000 Lung Solution seems to be one of the most popular portions of our respiratory program. The Flight Medics, Critical Care Medics, and EMS have used it weekly!
Simulation Technician, Greenville Health System
Read The Whole Story
- ASL 5000 Lung Solution (for customers who already own a compatible SimMan). Includes ASL 5000 Breathing Simulator and ASL 5000 Lung Adapter
- ASL 5000 Lung Adapter (for customers who already own an ASL 5000 and a compatible SimMan). Includes physical adapter between ASL 5000 and SimMan, LLEAP plugin
The ASL 5000 Lung Solution and the ASL 5000 Lung Adapter are available worldwide exclusively from your Laerdal representative.Request a Quote
- RespiSim® System for ventilator management training. Learn more.
- RespiSim vs. ASL 5000 Lung Solution for SimMan: which product is right for me?
- Please review our ASL 5000 Patient-Ventilator Interactions web page.
- Training for Interdisciplinary ARDS Care, Using the ASL 5000 Lung Solution for SimMan. Watch
- Managing a Pneumothorax with the ASL 5000 Lung Solution for SimMan. Watch.
- Using the ASL 5000 Lung Solution for SimMan to Manage a Post-op Patient. Watch.
- ASL 5000 Lung Solution for Laerdal SimMan. Watch.