ASL 5000 for Educators
To effectively teach ventilation management, you need to be able to simulate a respiratory patient that responds to a ventilator as a real patient would.
The ASL 5000 Breathing Simulator forms the core of the RespiSim System for Ventilator Management Training.
The ASL 5000 Breathing Simulator can breathe spontaneously and can hold PEEP at any level, even > 20 cmH₂O. With the ASL 5000 you can simulate an nearly unlimited number of patient disease states, neonatal through adult.
The ASL 5000 Breathing Simulator is a high-fidelity, digitally controlled “respiratory flight simulator.” It provides the lungs for the RespiSim® System for ventilator management training. RespiSim Software is an add-on to the ASL 5000 software and provides a user interface tailored to the needs of educators.
Ventilator management training for neonatal through adult patients
- Reproducible patients – ensure consistent instruction and skills assessment.
- Patient Model Library – quickly start running simulations with our library of over 35 preconfigured patient models (neonatal to adult).
- Spontaneous breathing controls – examine patient-ventilator interaction with a spontaneously breathing patient or one that responds passively to a ventilator.
- Simulate coughs and other extreme breaths. See how it works.
- Script Editor – assemble and launch preconfigured breathing profiles. See how it works.
- Sophisticated modeling tools – define one- or two-compartment models, non-linear compliance and resistance effects.
- Interactive control panel – adjust patient parameters on the fly while simulation is running.
- Report-writing capability – simplify skill assessment record keeping with the ability to print standard reports or generate Microsoft Word, Excel, and HTML compatible pages.
- 500Hz data sampling rate – analyze details for ventilator triggering and other events.
- Post-run analysis – extensive data analysis package captures 90+ parameters for hours of trending and review, as well as flow, pressure, and volume waveforms. Export all captured data to ASCII (Excel-readable) formats with a mouse click.
See how it works.
- LabVIEW™ based – work with a convenient graphic interface and custom tailor special applications.
- Lightweight and portable – just 22 lbs
(10 kg) for easy transport and great usability.
- Porcine Lungs come to Life at UTMB. Jose Rojas, Associate Professor and Chair, Department of Respiratory Care, University of Texas Medical Branch. Read.
- High Fidelity Lungs for Patient Simulators. Jose Rojas, Associate Professor and Chair, Department of Respiratory Care, University of Texas Medical Branch. Read.
- How to Integrate the ASL 5000 Breathing Simulator with the Laerdal SimNewB. Tammy Babcock, Assistant Professor and Director of Clinical Education, Department of Respiratory Care, University of Texas Medical Branch. Read.
Lung Kit for SimMan 3G – Integrate the ASL 5000 with the Laerdal SimMan 3G and create high-fidelity lung simulations right from the LLEAP software.
RespiSim® – a ventilator management teaching system with training modules developed in conjunction with leading educators.
RespiPatient® – a patient manikin specially designed for comprehensive ventilator management training incorporating the ASL 5000 and the RespiSim.
SimMan® is a registered trademark of Laerdal Medical Corporation.